Laura Edith Jones: Longtime nurse had an adventurous spirit – MLT News | Dauktion

Laura Edith Jones RN

Laura Jones, 72, died at her home on August 26, 2022 following her 12-year battle with Alzheimer’s. Her many friends and family from Hawaii to Sweden followed her final days in the hospice. Laura was born on October 11, 1949 in Pomeroy, a small farming and ranching community in southeast Washington, to Walter R. and Eudocia Fay Dawson. Laura married her high school sweetheart, Michael Ralph Jones, in December 1967.

Laura knew from a young age that she wanted to be a nurse. After her family moved to Edmonds, she began this quest by volunteering as a Candy Striper at Stevens Memorial Hospital while attending high school. Laura’s family attended the same church as Michaels, but their paths did not cross until they met in a biology class. In that moment they both knew that they would spend the rest of their lives together. Their strong faith was at the core of their 55 years together. Laura and Mike were members of Maplewood Presbyterian and later Trinity Lutheran Church in Lynnwood, Washington.

Michael joined the Army and began flight school while Laura worked towards her RN degree at Seattle Pacific College. The two married 43 days before Michael left for Vietnam as an Army helicopter pilot. They made their first home in Germany, where the newlyweds were stationed. After Mike’s active-duty stint ended, they returned to Edmonds to complete their schooling, Michael to become a science teacher and Laura to pursue her RN degree.

Laura quickly rose to the rank of labor and midwife at Stevens Hospital. She was very respected by everyone in the hospital. Laura was turned away from Stevens by two resident doctors where she worked for nearly 21 years. During this time, she was asked to work at a medical consulting firm in Seattle, using her time management skills. She continued to work for Doctors Keith and Waltz at Lake Forest Medical Clinic.

Laura gave birth to their daughter, Jennifer Lynn Jones, on April 26, 1974 at Stevens Hospital. From the very beginning Laura has involved Jennifer in all of her family activities including boating, travelling, Laura’s love of sewing, quilting and tandem riding with Jennifer in a small trailer in tow. Laura and Mike liked to go on spontaneous trips and often went to the airport without a destination. A trip, be it Disney World or Hawaii, was decided at the terminal. Friday nights turned into wonderful adventures for Laura’s family as they packed up the minivan and headed to the ocean. Laura had a wonderful adventurous spirit and loved to explore. Along with her tandem bike, Laura and her family spent many vacations kayaking on lakes and the San Juan Islands. Her bright yellow double kayak was appropriately named Ranunculus, the scientific name of the buttercup flower. Laura had a wonderful spirit of whimsical and childlike wonder at everything around her.

Alongside her nursing career, she ran a successful wedding consulting and catering business for 17 years. Laura served as a volunteer wedding coordinator at Trinity Lutheran Church for many years.

Laura has supported all of Mike’s many projects over the years. In 1994 they quit their jobs and decided to move to Hawaii. Laura began her work at Kapiolani Medical Center in Honolulu, where she quickly gained admiration and respect as a distinguished nurse. She was named Nurse of the Year in 2002. She soon became the person all residents came to as they navigated the difficult path of their four-year residency. Theirs was a shoulder to cry on, or a confirmation that the medication they were about to administer was correct. During her time at Kapiolani, a prestigious in vitro fertilization institute asked Laura to join them as head nurse. There she counseled couples and guided them through the challenging process of in vitro fertilization. She was instrumental in bringing many small miracles into the world. Her desk was often adorned with flowers and boxes of sweets and gifts. Laura had a special drawer filled with cards and notes from happy new parents. She was loved by everyone. Her nursing career spanned 40 years.

After 17 years in Hawaii, Laura and Mike returned to Edmonds to care for their father, who was struggling with medical problems. Laura finished her nursing career at the Swedish Medical Center in Seattle. It was a lifelong dream to become a Swedish nurse. After their father’s death, Laura and Mike both retired to Shelton on a beautiful lake. She had a final contribution and gift to make to medicine. She volunteered to take part in an Alzheimer’s clinical research study into a possible treatment for the disease. She took the test pill for over a year and made many trips to Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland, Oregon. Laura endured painful procedures and tests during the process.

Laura is survived by husband Michael, daughter Jennifer, brother Wes Dawson, and wife Cathy Crollard, as well as many nephews and nieces.

She was a life member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Auxiliary in Shelton, Washington.

Laura asked that her ashes be scattered in the places she loved, in the mountains and by the sea. The family would like to thank everyone who took care of them in their final days. For those who know Laura on her fruitful journey with us, her memorial service will be held at 1:00 p.m. on October 29, 2022 at Maplewood Presbyterian Church, 19523 84th Ave West, Edmonds Washington. A private memorial service will be held for her Shelton family and friends at their home on Island Lake near Shelton. Flowers can be sent to Maplewood Presbyterian Church and memorial donations can be sent to the Alzheimer’s Association:

God’s promise to nurses:

2 chronicles 15-7: So be strong, and don’t let your hands get weak: for your work shall be rewarded.

Leave a Comment